Difference between revisions of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"
m (The statement above explicitely states that this does not work for non-US versions. The Philosopher's Stone is the (British) European version.)
|Line 308:||Line 308:|
|language = Russian
|language = Russian
Revision as of 23:02, 1 December 2021
|Mac OS (Classic)||Aspyr Media|
|macOS (OS X)||Aspyr Media|
|OS X||Aspyr Media|
|Unreal Engine 1|
|Windows||November 16, 2001|
|Mac OS (Classic)||February 28, 2002|
|macOS (OS X)||August 15, 2005|
|Genres||Adventure, Platform, Puzzle|
- SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows Vista and later (see Availability for affected versions).
- The Mac OS X version of this game does not work on Mac OS X Lion (version 10.7) or later due to the removal of support for PowerPC apps.
- Released as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in North America.
Configuration file(s) location
|Mac OS (Classic)|
|macOS (OS X)|
Save game data location
|Mac OS (Classic)|
|macOS (OS X)|
|Widescreen resolution||Only 4:3 aspect ratio is properly supported. See Widescreen resolution.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Edit the
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Use the DirectX11 renderer.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use the DirectX11 renderer.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Edit the
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||No frame rate cap, but very high framerates may break physics and sound in-game. A supposed fix can be found here. (Only changing 0AD7A33B to 00000000 needed).|
- This fix is only compatible with the North American version
|Use the Unofficial Widescreen Patch|
Graphical Tweaks via Direct-X 11 renderer
- A fork of Kentie's Direct3D 10 renderer that adds more graphical features.
- Might cause some bugs and slow rendering in a quest with Filch.
It is compatible with both the Widescreen Patch and Mouse and Strafing Fix.
- Runs the game at HD resolution.
- Improved lighting.
- Adds ambient occlusion, screen space reflections, and higher quality HDR post-processing.
- Places a watermark in the bottom right, and overrides the user's clipboard with a link to the developer's PayPal. Follow these instructions to disable the watermark and remove the PayPal link from being inserted into your clipboard.
|Installing DirectX 11 renderer|
|Installing HP1 ESRGAN Upscale pack|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion||Only during flight sequences.|
|Controller support||See Controller support.|
|Full controller support|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
- Lack of Deadzone in Right Thumbstick, makes camera spinning. See Camera spinning with Xbox 360 Controller.
Proper mouselook and strafing
|Use the Mouse Fix and Strafing mod|
|Separate volume controls||Music and Sound Effects/Speech.|
|Mute on focus lost|
Only available in retail release. Dutch
Only available in Japanese retail release. Polish
Only available in retail release. Brazilian Portuguese
Only available in Brazilian retail release. Portuguese
Only available in retail release. Russian
Only available in retail release. Slovak
Only available in retail release.
Language reset after installing fanmade patches
- Installing fanmade patches will usually reset the game's language to English in the European release. To change the language, enter the "System" folder on the CD. 3 folders named 0, 1 and 2 can be found there, containing the English (0), French (1) and German (2) language files respectively. In order to manually change the game back to the desired language, copy the desired folder somewhere and manually change all the file endings to .eng from .fre or .ger (i.e. HPcredits.ger renamed to -> HPcredits.eng), then copy and paste the folder content into the "System" folder of the game's directory and overwrite everything.
The game fails to start
- The game requires a form of DRM, known as SafeDisc implemented in secdrv.sys. Unfortunately, it is a gaping security flaw, and evidently couldn't be fixed without being removed. Microsoft disabled it in Windows 7 and removed it in Windows 10. The following has been tested in Windows 7 to work.
|Temporarily start SafeDisc service|
@echo off sc config secdrv start= demand & sc start secdrv start System\HP.exe timeout /NOBREAK /T 1 sc stop secdrv & sc config secdrv start= disabled @echo on
Certain transparent effects and textures are not rendered properly
|Edit configuration file|
|(Alternative) Use console code|
|(Alternative) Use dgVoodoo 2|
Low frame rate on modern systems
Cutscenes are too fast cutting off characters voice lines / Physics bugs
|Cap the framerate to 60 FPS or set refresh rate to 60 Hz with Vsync enabled.|
Brightness slider not working
Bugged sound in Quidditch Match
- Might fix sound issues in other parts of the game aswell.
Camera spinning with Xbox 360 Controller
|macOS (OS X)||Mac (classic) and Mac (OSX) are PowerPC|
Colored intro mod
|Use the Story Book mod|
|Operating system (OS)||95||98, 2000, ME, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel Pentium II 266 MHz
AMD K6-2 266 MHz
|Intel Pentium II 400 MHz
AMD K6-2 400 MHz
|System memory (RAM)||32 MB||64 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||500 MB|
|Video card (GPU)|| 4 MB of VRAM |
DirectX 8.0 compatible
|16 MB of VRAM|
- Supported chipsets: Nvidia GeForce3, Nvidia GeForce2, Nvidia GeForce 256, Nvidia Riva TNT2, Nvidia Riva TNT, 3dfx Voodoo5, ATI Radeon, ATI Rage 128 Pro, ATI Rage 128, Matrox MGA-G550, Matrox MGA-G450, Matrox MGA-G400, Matrox MGA-G200, PowerVR3 Kyro II, PowerVR3 Kyro, S3 Savage2000
|Operating system (OS)||8.6|
|Processor (CPU)||PowerPC G3|
|System memory (RAM)||96 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)|
- Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of - Microsoft Community - last accessed on 2017-01-16
- Microsoft - MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 - last accessed on 2018-02-16
- Unofficial Widescreen Patch - Oldunreal Forums
- https://archive.org/details/hp1-unofficial-widescreen-patch-oldunreal-engine [HP1] Unofficial Widescreen Patch OldUnreal (Engine) (Harry Potter 1 SS IBM PC Game) - Archive.org
- Verified by User:Quiet Bob on August 10, 2020
- Verified by User:Diegoelcapo1231 on 2021-08-27
- Verified by User:Mars icecream on 2017-7