Grand Theft Auto IV
|Windows||December 2, 2008|
- For Games for Windows - LIVE on Windows 8 or later, install the latest Games for Windows - LIVE software.
- FusionFix fixes some issues not resolved in the official patches.
- Essentially the same as Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City in terms of its engine and performance.
- Extensive modding community, along with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City. See Downgrading.
- Ability to import your music for your own custom radio station.
- Rockstar has removed music from the game due to expired licences. Same with Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City. See Restore Removed Music.
- Rockstar Support
- GTA Modding - A wiki hosting mod information for the GTA series.
- GTAForums - Grand Theft Auto IV Discussion
- GTA Network - A huge network of fansites all dedicated to the Grand Theft Auto series
- Steam Community Discussions
|Retail||Additionally uses SecuROM 7 DRM for disc checking.|
- All versions require Games for Windows - LIVE and SecuROM PA DRM.[Note 1] Additionally, all non-retail versions require Steam DRM.
- Online features require Rockstar Games Social Club.
- Complete Edition includes Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.
DLC and expansion packs
- DLC versions of the episodes are no longer available for purchase due to Games for Windows Live Marketplace being shut down
|The Ballad of Gay Tony|
|The Lost and Damned|
Skip intro videos
|Apply the GTA IV Intro Patch|
- Patch 8 updates the game to the latest version. The Steam version is already patched.
- Patch 7 is also available (may be required for some mods, as much as Patch 4).
- Since Patch 6 Rockstar Social Club is no longer required to run the game.
- This projects aims to fix some issues that weren't addressed in official patches.
- FusionFix · GitHub
- Greatly reduces loading times
- Does not work for versions older than Patch 6
- If editing .IMG archives you need to delete
colCache.datand let it get re-created
Place ColAccel script in
Restore Removed Music
- Over 50 radio station tracks were removed from the game due to expired licenses in 2018.
- Downgrading isn't required to install this mod.
|Downgrading the Radio Stations|
- Merges songs from EFLC into the base game.
- Does not work with versions older than Patch 6.
Configuration file(s) location
|Windows||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings\SETTINGS.CFG|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/12210/pfx/[Note 2]|
- Configuration files are encrypted. For an alternative, see Command line parameters.
Save game data location
|Windows||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\<user-id>\|
|Steam Play (Linux)||<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/12210/pfx/[Note 2]|
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\XLivemust also be backed up as the save data is bound to the Games for Windows - LIVE profile.
|Ultra-widescreen||Cutscenes and loading screens are Vert-.|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Field of view (FOV)||Use Ultimate Camera Control.|
|Windowed||Launch the game with
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Up to 16 samples.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Use SMAA injector for SMAA.|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
|60 FPS and 120+ FPS||Cutscenes may be zoomed in incorrectly; slow handbrake camera; handbrake camera is too fast on high FPS (gamepad only)|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Forced deadzone with no known way of disabling.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See DirectInput Controller support
Simultaneous mouse and controller input available.
|Full controller support|
|Controller remapping||Can only switch between pre-set layouts.|
|Controller sensitivity||Called Aim Sensitivity.|
|Controller Y-axis inversion|
|Xbox button prompts|
|Impulse Trigger vibration|
|DualShock 4 controllers|
|DualShock button prompts||See PS3 Controller Buttons|
|Light bar support|
|Steam Input API support|
|Hook input (legacy mode)|
|Official controller preset(s)|
|Steam Controller button prompts|
DirectInput Controller support
Launch the game with
|Option in Controller Settings|
PS3 Controller Buttons
If using a PS2/PS3 controller, you might want to change the Xbox 360 buttons to the PS2/PS3 buttons. In order to do so, follow the instructions below.
|Separate volume controls||SFX & Music.|
|Surround sound||Up to 5.0 output|
|Mute on focus lost|
- Commands responsible for audio in the game:
-fullspecaudio: forces higher quality audio
-minspecaudio: forces lower quality audio - good for low-end CPU's (e.g. radio cannot be heard outside car).
- Game uses DirectSound which can be handled by Creative ALchemy (set duration to 10). Just run
LaunchGTAIV.exeas admin in case of game crash.
|Czech||Fan translation, download.|
|Polish||Fan translation, download.|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Fan translation, download.|
|Russian||Official localization by «1C-Softclub» retail version, download.|
|Russian||Fan translation by «ENPY Studio»|
|Ukrainian||Fan translation, download.|
- Social Club website stat tracking and leaderboards have been shut down. All other online features are unaffected.
|Dedicated||Use Grand Theft Auto: IV:MP.|
|Direct IP||Use Grand Theft Auto: IV:MP.|
|Protocol||Port(s) and/or port range(s)|
|TCP||53, 80, 3074|
|UDP||53, 88, 3074|
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support status is unknown.
|Nvidia 3D Vision||For better support use Helix Mod: Grand Theft Auto IV|
Officially supported game, see official vorpx game list.
- Game uses Games for Windows - LIVE. Make sure you are running latest version and refer to the concerning page if you have further problems.
Release Date Check Failure
|Use the Offline Installer package|
|Change Windows Date to any date before 28 June 2015|
|Install the updated Games for Windows Marketplace Client|
SecuLauncher: failed to start application.  error
|Install Visual C++ Redistributable 2005 and .NET 3.5|
Fatal error WTV190
|Reinstall GFWL client|
Fatal error WTV270
|See In-game interface does not open|
Fatal error RMN20
|Run game in compatibility mode|
|If using Windows 7, Vista or XP, update your Windows to the latest available service pack|
Game stuck at disclaimer screen or Rockstar logo on Windows 10
|Disable fullscreen optimization|
Large framerate drops on diverse parts of the city
|Lower view distance to 20 or lower. Anything higher causes high drops in peformance impact when looking at the skyline for very little visual gain.|
Texture popping, stuttering and other performance issues after running the game for a while
|Force maximum available memory|
|Make sure Steam Overlay is enabled|
No recoil/bullet spread
- By default, recoil/bullet spread is only enabled when playing with a controller. This results in 100% shooting accuracy when using a keyboard and mouse.
|Install the Bullet Spread/Recoil Fix script|
Regular camera movement and handbrake camera are too slow
- This bug occurs if the frame rate is very high.
Cutscenes are too zoomed in
- This bug occurs if the frame rate is very high.
Game minimizes after clicking start
- If the game minimizes after selecting between GTA IV base and EFLC and can not be made full screen again it may be a problem with PunkBuster. It can be fixed by stopping it from running.
|Stop PunkBuster|
Game will load with minimal graphic settings and won't let you change them
- For video cards that have more than 2 GB or VRAM the game will run but won't let you change the graphics settings to anything better. In order to force the game to allow the changes, load the .exe with the extra parameter:
|Bypass graphics restrictions on Steam version|
|Bypass graphics restrictions on other versions|
Infinite loading loop
Launch the game with
AMD/ATI Radeon Water Fix
- There is a problem where the water loses its features and details after a while. To fix this issue do this:
|Replace the water shaders|
Invisible fonts glitch
- An invisible fonts glitch may occur which involves game menu text disappearing.
2GB+ VRAM is wrongly recognized
- This is fixed in Patch 22.214.171.124.
|Force increase video memory|
Multiplayer: Login to Social Club failed
- This was fixed with Patch 8.
|Override paul.dll|
Frame rate drops after a short time in game (e.g. smooth 60 FPS to a choppy 45 FPS)
Launch game via
|Shader Model support||3|
|Physics||Bullet Physics Library, Euphoria|
Used for ingame television
|Multiplayer||Games for Windows - LIVE, Rockstar Games Social Club|
- Many mods for GTA IV won't work with the latest version
- The most supported versions for modding are Patch 4 and Patch 7
- Multiplayer will no longer work when downgraded
- Currently Steam version users can encounter problems with disabling auto update feature. It can be done by setting time of update: 12 a.m. to 12 p.m.
|Install Patch 4 (126.96.36.199)|
|Install Patch 7 (188.8.131.52)|
- To get rid of the Social Club login screen, remove or rename "paul.dll" in the game's installation folder
XLiveLess / ASI loader
- XLiveLess removes Games for Windows - LIVE service.
- Save game data location changes to
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\
- Save games made using XLiveLess are not compatible with native save games.
- Disables access to the multiplayer to prevent cheating.
- ASI loader is the tool that loads custom libraries with the file extension
- Skips intro videos and menu.
- Adds borderless windowed mode.
- Allows to launch
- Includes Ultimate ASI Loader.
Ultimate ASI Loader
- Built-in XLiveLess.
|Applying Ultimate ASI Loader|
- Built-in ASI loader.
- It is strongly recommended to make a backup of any files modifications may replace or amend in the event of corruption.
- Compatible with VR.
- Graphical modification that improves visuals .
- Includes multiple presets suitable for low-end and high-end hardware.
- Compatible with all patches.
- Contains optional ASI loader.
- Contains optional trainer.
- Contains optional textures for roads and trees.
- Minor graphical bug on street lights when night shadows are enabled on patch 6 or later.
- Graphical improvement that includes HD textures for roads.
- Combine with an ENB modification for best results.
- Adds additional details and information on the world map while improving its look.
- Total conversion mod for Grand Theft Auto IV and The Episodes from Liberty City, which will bring back the good old San Andreas map.
- Total conversion mod for Grand Theft Auto IV, which will bring back the good old Vice City map.
Grand Theft Auto IV allows users to play their own music on a custom radio station, Independence FM.
- Simply place any audio files/folders or create shortcuts in the
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\folder, and tune into the station in-game.
- Supported formats are MP3, WMA, M4A. Other formats and extensions are not recognized.
- QuickTime or iTunes needs to be installed for M4A support.
- Use shortcuts to audio files/folders to save disk space and improve performance.
- Supports High-resolution audio files. Up to 96 kHz / 24 bit.
- Supports Surround audio files. Up to 6 channels.
- FLAC is not supported. Convert to WMA Lossless to use in-game.
- Monaural audio files not supported.
- By creating a file called
commandline.txtand saving it to your root installation folder you can alter the way your game runs. Below is a list of all the parameters.
|-help||Lists the available commands|
|-adapter||Use the specified screen adapter|
|-autoconfig||Automatically adjust quality setting to maintain desired frame rate (15-120)|
|-availablevidmem||Set amount of physical Video Memory|
|-benchmark||Launches the game in Benchmark mode and then quits it|
|-detailquality||Set the detail quality of the game (0-99)|
|-disableimposters||Turn off imposter rendering for vehicles|
|-forcehighqualitymirrors||Enable 64 bit mirrors|
|-forcer2vb||Force Render to Vertex Buffer|
|-frameLimit||Limits your FPS to your refresh rate|
|-framelockinwindow||Force framelock to work even in a window|
|-fullscreen||Force fullscreen mode|
|-fullspecaudio||Force high-end CPU audio footprint|
|-gpucount||Lets you manually set the GPU count if query fails|
|-height||Sets the vertical resolution|
|-managed||Use D3D runtime managed resources|
|-memrestrict||Set the restriction the amount of available memory for the game|
|-minspecaudio||Force low-end CPU audio footprint|
|-no_3GB||Disable 32-bit OS with /3GB|
|-noBlockOnLostFocus||Don't block the window update when it loses focus.|
|-noprecache||Disable precache of resources|
|-nomemrestrict||Disable memory restrictions|
|-nominimize||Disables the ability to restore the game from minimize and changing resolutions (Reduces System Memory Footprint)|
|-norestrictions||Do not limit graphics settings|
|-noswapdelay||Disable sleep delay before Present (Disable fix for hard Present stalls)|
|-notimefix||Disable Time Fix|
|-percentvidmem||Percentage of Video memory to make available for the game|
|-refreshrate||Set the refresh rate (Must be supported by your monitor)|
|-reserve||Amount of memory to set aside for other applications|
|-reservedApp||Amount of memory to leave available within application space|
|-renderquality||Set the render quality of the game (0-4)|
|-safemode||Sets graphics setting to lowest setting|
|-shadowdensity||Set the number of lights that cast shadows (0-16)|
|-shadowquality||Set the shadow quality (0-4)|
|-stereo||Set game to support stereo rendering mode|
|-texturequality||Set the texture quality of the game (0-2)|
|-unmanaged||Use application managed resources|
|-usedirectinput||Allow DirectInput alongside XInput support.|
|-viewdistance||Set the view distance of the game (0-99)|
|-windowed||Force windowed mode|
|-width||Sets the horizontal resolution|
|Operating system (OS)||XP SP3||Vista SP1|
|Processor (CPU)||AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
|AMD Phenom X3 2.1 GHz
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||1.5 GB||2.5 GB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||16 GB||18 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon X1900 |
Nvidia GeForce 7900
256 MB of VRAM
DirectX 9.0c compatible
|ATI Radeon HD 3870
Nvidia GeForce 8600
512 MB of VRAM
|Sound (audio device)||5.1 Channel Audio Card|
- Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows - LIVE.
- Games for Windows - LIVE DRM features: Legacy activation, supports local profiles.
- File/folder structure within this directory reflects the path(s) listed for Windows and/or Steam game data (use Wine regedit to access Windows registry paths). Games with Steam Cloud support may store data in
~/.steam/steam/userdata/<user-id>/12210/in addition to or instead of this directory. The app ID (12210) may differ in some cases. Treat backslashes as forward slashes. See the glossary page for details.
- Games for Windows Marketplace to close next week - PC Gamer - last accessed on 2019-01-07
- GTA IV PC - Xbox.com - last accessed on 2019-01-07
- [REL|GTAIV] XLiveLess - Page 32 - Scripts & Plugins - GTAForums
- Remove/Skip annoying intro sequence! - /r/GTA - last accessed on
- GTAIV.EFLC.FusionFix/readme.md at master · ThirteenAG/GTAIV.EFLC.FusionFix · GitHub
- ColAccel - reduce loading time by 50%* - Scripts & Plugins - GTAForums
- Grand Theft Auto IV Music Cut Patch - Rock Paper Shotgun
- IV/EFLC Radio "downgrader" - GTA Forums
- Grand Theft Auto 4 21:9 Gameplay (2560x1080) (60fps) (Ultrawide) - YouTube
- Handbrake camera is too fast on high FPS (gamepad only) · Issue #21 · GTAmodding/GTAIV-Issues-List
- Currently Supported Controllers for GTA IV PC - Rockstar Support
- Title Update v. 184.108.40.206 - Help & Support - GTAForums
- Title Update Version 220.127.116.11 - Help & Support - GTAForums
- PC Gaming Surround Sound Round-up
- Effect of GameSpy Closure on Past Rockstar Titles – Rockstar Support
- SecuROM™ Support Website - Grand Theft Auto IV
- GTA IV: Error Code RMN20 - Rockstar Support
- How to use -memrestrict to fix stuttering - GTA Forums
- Extreme Texture Pop-in - GTAForums
- How do i get over 60 fps in GTA 4 ?? - Steam Community Discussions
- Recoil behaves differently between gamepad and kb/mouse · Issue #6 · GTAmodding/GTAIV-Issues-List
- [hived-requests-need-ideas/?do=findComment&comment=1065277851 Archived Requests, need ideas? - GTA III, VC & SA - GTAForums]
- Handbrake camera is too slow · Issue #10 · GTAmodding/GTAIV-Issues-List
- Zoomed in cutscenes · Issue #1 · GTAmodding/GTAIV-Issues-List
- READ THIS if your GTA 4 gets stuck on loading screen after pressing play! Easy Fix. :: Steam Community Discussions
- Need help running GTA IV (Steam) on Windows 8.1, page 1 - GOG.com Forum
- Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Support
- Patch 18.104.22.168 vs Patch 22.214.171.124 - GTA Forums
- [REL|III|VC|SA|IV] Project 2dfx - GTAForums
- Ultimate-ASI-Loader/readme.md at master · ThirteenAG/Ultimate-ASI-Loader · GitHub
- [REL|GTAIV] XLiveLess - Scripts & Plugins - GTAForums
- Independence FM (User radio) in GTA IV - Rockstar Support