|Engine||id Tech 2|
|First release date||December 9, 1997|
|Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon|
|Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity|
|Quake II: The Reckoning|
|Quake II: Ground Zero|
|Netpack I: Extremities|
|Quake III Arena||1999|
|Quake III: Team Arena|
|Enemy Territory: Quake Wars||2007|
- Engine is open source with modern multi-platform ports available; see Source Ports
- Runs well on low-end hardware
- Small but hardcore community
- Easy to mod
- The Steam Version lacks the Soundtrack, but this can be fixed.
- Quake Wiki - A detailed wiki for every Quake game made.
- Steam Users' Forums - The Steam forums for the Quake series.
- FAQ on Steam forums - A starting point for new Quake II players.
- Func_Msgboard - The mapper hub, new map releases, technique improvements.
- bit7.org/quake - Community site with extensive mirrors section, reviews and details on editions of the game.
|Steam||Does not come with the game soundtrack; see No Music Playback|
- The Steam version (and others) can also be played on Mac OS X and Linux using a source port.
 Source Ports
Since the release of the source code various engine overhauls and source ports have been created to enhance or modify the game in different ways. Which one to use is a matter of taste.
- 3.23 This is a simple patch that fixes bugs and adds certain things to the engine such as widescreen-support. Easy to install and use.
- R1Q2 Source port that focuses on the multiplayer aspect of the game.
- KMQuake A source port. Allows for customization of textures, game interface etc.
- LWJake2 A LWJGL-based source port focusing on compatibility and bugfixes.
- Quetoo Another source port which adds support for Linux and FreeBSD. Only for people who know what they're doing.
- Yamagi Quake II An "enhanced client" focusing mainly on bug- and code-fixes.
- Ultimate Quake II Patch Designed for the Steam version of Quake II but is also compatible with retail versions by changing the install path of the mod. Adds bug-fixes, improved graphics, enables mouse use in menus as well as music through software playback.
3.20. Latest official patch.
3.23. Unofficial patch that focuses on bugfixes and minor tweaks.
 Game data
 Game files location
|Windows (Retail)||C:\Program Files (x86)\id Software\Quake2|
|Windows (Steam)||C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake 2|
- The files for The Reckoning expansion are in the "xatrix" folder, while the Ground Zero expansion files are in the "rogue" folder.
 Save files location
|Windows (Retail)||C:\Program Files (x86)\id Software\Quake2\baseq2\save|
|Windows (Steam)||C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake 2\baseq2\save|
|Steam Cloud||Both expansion packs are also supported.|
|GameSave Manager||Both expansion packs are also supported.|
 Video settings
|Widescreen resolution||A source port is required. See Source Ports.|
|Multi-monitor||A source port is required. See Source Ports.|
|Field of view (FOV)||A source port is required. See Source Ports.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||See Anisotropic filtering (AF).|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||See Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||See Vertical sync (Vsync).|
It is not built in, but forcing it through graphics drivers should work.
The game doesn't have built in anti-aliasing but forcing it through your graphics control panel should work.
The game is capped at 90 fps. To fix this, create a text-file in
C:\Program Files (x86)\id Software\Quake2\baseq2\ then add the line
cl_maxfps "120" (or whatever you want the maximum fps to be) and save it as
autoexec.cfg. You can also force V-sync through graphics drivers control panel.
 Input settings
 Issues and Fixes
 No Music Playback
The music plays directly from the game-CD so the Steam version unfortunately lacks it. Try applying the Ultimate Quake II patch mentioned above.
If you prefer to use the original engine you can download the soundtrack from the Steam forums. Either burn a new CD from the image file or use a CD emulator like DAEMON Tools Lite to mount the image.
 System requirements
|Operating system (OS)||Windows 95/Windows NT 4.0||Windows 98/Windows ME/Windows 2000/Windows XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Pentium 90 MHz||Pentium 133 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||16 MB||24 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||25 MB free||400 MB free|