Final Fantasy XI
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|First release date||November 7, 2002|
|Final Fantasy VII (1998)||1998|
|Final Fantasy VIII||2000|
|Final Fantasy XI||2003|
|Final Fantasy XIV||2010|
|Final Fantasy VII (2012)||2012|
|Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn||2013|
- Cross-platform play with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2 players.
 Video settings
|Field of view (FOV)|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Borderless fullscreen windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)|
Since 2007, an official windowed mode has been available. This can be turned on by opening the FINAL FANTASY XI Config Tool and checking the "Run in Windowed Mode" in the General Tab. There is also an unofficial windowed mode using a 3rd party program called Windower; which does a lot more than just a windowed mode as well.
Using Windower with "Hide Border" and the resolution matching your desktop resolution will run the game in a borderless windowed mode.
It is possible to improve the graphics further beyond what is allowed by editing the "Background resolution" registry setting. For more details, see http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics#Background_Resolution
 Improved UI
There are various 3rd-party tools used to improve the UI.
 Increased Draw Distance
The normal way to change draw distance is the /localsettings command in-game. It is possible to increase the draw distance beyond the max using this Windower plugin: http://wiki.windower.net/plugins/drawdistance
 Change max number of displayed characters on-screen
This can be changed by using the /localsettings command. Syntax: /localsettings charanum [number] (25-50)
 Performance Improvements
The max framerate for the game is 30 FPS. If you are not finding your framerate near that, it can help to turn off shadows in the in-game options.
Also try removing all USB devices. In the past, it was found that certain USB devices would cause a framerate drop.
The game typically does not stay open if another program is in fullscreen mode. If something opens in fullscreen mode, FFXI will most likely close/crash.
 Will not run on Windows Vista/Windows 7
The Windows Vista/Windows 7 version must be downloaded: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media
 Where To Buy
 Physical copies
The "Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection" version is available for $20 or less in various electronic sellers such as GameStop, BestBuy, Target or WalMart. Individual expansions or older packs are no longer sold as new, and Xbox 360 or PlayStation 2 version may not longer be available in stores.
 Digital copies
The Ultimate Abyssea Collection is available on many digital platforms.
- Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/39250/ (note: it has been reported serial keys have a delay being sent)
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B004V9QC80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330100439&sr=8-1
- GameStop: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/final-fantasy-xi-ultimate-collection-abyssea-edition/92937
- SquareEnix shop: http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.241238700 (note: it has been reported their downloader stops halfway)
 System requirements
|Operating system (OS)|
|Processor (CPU)||Pentium III 800 MHz||Pentium III 800 MHz|
|System memory (RAM)||128 MB||128 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||9.5 GB freeNvidia GeForce with 32 MB or ATI Radeon 9000 or higher||9.5 GB freeNvidia GeForce with 32 MB or ATI Radeon 9000 or higher|
- Official site: http://www.playonline.com/
- Official media site: http://www.finalfantasyxi.com/
- Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi
- Background information (documentary video): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-viii-final-fantasy/24493